Judging from what we’ve seen so far on the runways of the four most fashionable capitals of the world, New York, London, Milan and Paris, here are the top trends of summer to have and to own:
1. Combat boots. We’ve seen the 80s and 90s trends creep back into the fashion scene, and it’s not surprising at all to see the combat boots make stylish fashion statements once again. This time, make your booties heavy duty with plenty of buckles and metal details to update how these booties looked in the past. Flat is in so allow your soles to relax. Look up the booties at Altuzarra and Fausto Puglisi for inspiration.
2. Stylized heels. Nobody did this trend better on the runways than Gucci. Stylised heels are in, and if you can’t get hold of any this early, you can always start the trend in your circles by sticking rhinestones on your heels.
3. White trainers. This pair will continue to keep your out-of-town adventures comfy so, don’t put away those trainers just yet. You don’t always have to wear them with your pants and shorts. Feel free to use them with your jumpsuit pants or shorts. Use them with your summer florals. Look up the designs from Tory Burch for inspiration.
4. Colorful and edgy. Avant-garde need not be dark this season. Spotted on the Louis Vuitton Cruise Collection are two-layer, high-slit dresses which, we say, will turn you into this season’s coolest summer eye candy. Check out the white, strappy gladiator-sandals inspired footwear too. Another great way to invite pops of color into your scheme is through artsy fartsy prints and designs. View the jaw dropping pieces at the Proensa Schouler show to understand what we’re talking about.
5. Khaki. This season’s most utilitarian piece that you will certainly find to be a useful addition to your wardrobe are khakis. Gigi Hadid had a button-down khaki on at the Miu Miu show, and every other big label had their own take on the khaki. Check out the stylish ensemble from Sonia Rykiel: an off-the-shoulder and pants pairing that came with a hat.
6. Hats. Speaking of hats, we also adored how some of the elegant, safari-inspired pieces at the Ralph Lauren show were accompanied by hats — all the chic shapes and sizes of it.
7. Safari-inspired accessories. These pieces go well with your RL-inspired ensemble and also work out a nice accent to stylize your khaki pieces. Metallic, woody and chunky is how accessories are made to be worn this season.
8. Vibrant makeup. You probably can’t really wear MAC Cosmetics’ Work It Out collection in the gym but, the neon green and sky blue eyeliners that go with sheer lip shimmer will give you an instant prop up from your usual nude makeup shades. This collection is youthful. It’s trendy but, take caution as it can be easily overdone.
9. Vintage swimwear. Forget the skimpy bikinis. Even ladies with stretch mark issues and post-CS scars can wear this summer’s best swimwear look with so much sophistication: high-waist bikini bottoms. The most inspiring post-war swimwear looks we’ve seen are from Miu Miu. Channel the vintage in you by putting on those floral skull caps or tying up one with bright coloured, oversized scarf. Throw in the neon-rimmed sunglasses too!